Friday, February 5, 2010

Swim Miami 2010

"Party in the city where the heat is on
All night on the beach till the break of dawn
Welcome to Miami (Bienvenido Miami)"
~Will Smith

As I am writing this post, I am looking out the window at the "Snowpocalypse of 2010". We are expecting a total of 20-30 inches of snow when the storm passes (not for another 10 hours or so) and all I can think of is the warm sand between my toes. About 3 weeks ago Ry and I were discussing which races he was looking into for the 2010 season. There was the Muddy Buddy and The Warrior Dash but, this year I really wanted to do an open water swim. I have researched swims the past few years and always found an excuse to avoid it. I "googled" open water swims this year and a 10k in Miami popped up. My first thought "SWEET MIAMI!!!" The idea of racing over 6 miles didn't cross my mind for another 30 seconds. My second thought "I might die". Luckily they also have a 5k and a 1 mile swim. I am pretty confidant that I could finish a 5k right now without training but it would definitely be a struggle!

As usual, I was really excited for about 5 minutes and then the typical excuses started to take over: It is expensive, I don't want to take off work and am I really going to train for this race? Ry saw the light starting to fade, shoved the credit card in my face, and told me to register NOW. So, I tried not to think too hard and I registered. What a rush! Right after I received the confirmation that I was registered I was so excited again (and extremely nervous)!

Now, when I told Ry there is a 1 mile swim it was his turn to get excited. He has finished an Olympic distance triathlon which starts off with a 1 mile swim. Sweet! A race for him too! We love anything we can do together and this is definitely a challenge for both of us! We decided we will leave a few days early and stay a day or two after the race to make a mini vacation out of it.

Once both of us were registered I started thinking of a training program for myself. Ryan has been working out nonstop since I have met him so, I am not too worried about his workout plan. I, on the other hand, haven't worked out in way too long! We had about 3 months from the date that I signed up and I needed to start swimming ASAP.

This is where fate took over. I was getting ready to leave swim practice the following day (I am a swim coach for 12-18 year old kids) and one of my swimmers came up to me and told me she got a part in her school musical and she can't come to Mon/Wed practices. She then asked if I could write her a swim practice so she can come in the mornings before school. "It's a BINGO!!!" I decided right there that I would come in and swim with her. This was the motivation I needed! It was a great idea... until the following morning when I woke up for our first practice. It was rough waking up and even harder to jump in the pool at 5:30 am but a great feeling when I finished (and yes, I am still faster than the 12 year old... DOUBLE BINGO!!!).

We are about 2 and a half months out from race day and both of us have been training consistently. My goal is to swim faster than 1.5 hours and Ry's goal is to finish before I do. Can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

avandia