Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Another Day in the Office...

For those who don't know, my life pretty much revolves around a pool. As far back as I can remember, everyday of the summer was spent at the pool, and from the age 11 - 19 at LEAST 5 days a week (and most days, twice a day) I was at a pool for practice or a swim meet. I started teaching swim lessons when I was 11, almost 12, and haven't stopped since then.

A little over a year ago I started coaching kids 12-18 on a swim team. You would think after so many years I would be sick of the water. Crazy enough, I still love it. Yea, I hate getting wet sometimes for lessons, but I LOVE the children I teach. Yes, I can spend 40 hours at a pool in 3 days for a swim meet but, it is sooo worth it to see the look on my kids faces when they make a goal time or qualify for finals. Even though the hours are crazy and there are days I could pull my hair out, I love my job!

Head coach ,Ken, and I waiting for our relays to start
*Photo by Melissa Albers

A perfect example is the swim meet I coached this past weekend. I had 3 of my kids qualify to swim in Maryland States. Out of those 3 kids, 11 team records were broken and all three made it back to swim in finals in at least one event. And even more exciting...

Michael Phelps swam in this meet.

*Photo by Brian Kim
And what could be more exciting than that?

He broke an American record in the 200 Fly

The previous record was 1:39.72. As you can see he swam in lane 4 and and swam a 1:39.65.

So, not only was I on cloud nine that my kids were swimming AMAZING, we all had the chance to watch the most amazing swimmer of our time break another record.

This weekend I have another swim meet with the rest of my group. I am sure more records will be broken and even more goal times will be reached.

I love my job

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

avandia